Dentures are removable appliances to replace missing teeth. Dentures help in chewing and eating food and gives you a beautiful smile. Dentures can be made by your local dentist in few appointments.
Complete dentures are fabricated for individuals who have no teeth left in either dental arch. Complete dentures need 4-6 appointments for fabrication and may need few more appointments for adjustment.
Immediate complete dentures are made before extraction of front teeth. Immediate complete dentures are inserted/delivered to a patient on the day front teeth are removed. So, a patient is not without teeth for even a single day. It needs few denture adjustment appointments.
As bone needs few weeks to months for complete healing after extraction; sometime dentures are made after few weeks of healing and a patient is without teeth during this time. These conventional dentures may need fewer denture adjustment appointments.
Partial dentures are made for individuals with a mix of missing teeth and healthy teeth. In this case, healthy teeth give support to partial dentures. These usually have a combination of gum colored material and metal. Partial dentures can be made to replace as less as 1 missing tooth.
To fit a partial denture, some small changes need to be made on certain teeth in one’s mouth. These changes are very small and usually does not need numbing/freezing for this purpose.
Your dentist in Coquitlam; Lincoln Dental Center provides services for both complete and partial dentures. Call us for a consultation.
CARE FOR DENTURES:
- Must be removed before sleeping to prevent the risk of swallowing.
- Always brush and clean after eating food.
- Do not use abrasive tooth paste or abrasive toothbrush for cleaning dentures.
- Use denture cleaning paste/solution and denture cleaning brush.
- You may need to soak your dentures in water or soaking solution at night. Please check with your dentist about instructions.
- Brush and clean your mouth and clean the denture well before placing in mouth.
- Handle your dentures with care; as they might break upon falling on floor.