Does your tooth needs a crown?
A dental crown is a cover, or a cap placed on a tooth to enhance the shape, size, beauty, improve structural integrity (to make a weakened tooth stronger). A dental crown matches the shape and color of adjacent teeth or multiple crowns can be done to improve the shape, size and color of multiple teeth. In this article we will discuss the reason for the need of a dental crown, caring for your dental crown, procedure of a dental crown.
Let's look at a few situations when a dental crown is needed:
- A natural tooth may have a large cavity which has weakened the tooth and to prevent further breakage/fracture; a crown may be needed.
- Trauma can break a tooth and a crown may be needed to fix the fractured tooth.
- After a root canal procedure, a crown may be recommended to make the tooth stronger and making it less prone to breakage.
- To make a smile beautiful.
Dental crowns are made up of different materials. It can be all metal or porcelain (white in color) or a combination of porcelain and metal (white in color). The dentist would help you decide what kind of crown one should be made depending upon one's need. The shade of the crown should match with the color of one's natural teeth. A shade guide will be used to match the colour of crown with adjacent teeth. This will give a natural look to one's crown.
The crowns usually last 10-15 years or even more than that. It depends upon how well you take care of your teeth. Regular dental visits, proper brushing and flossing, consuming less sugar and sticky foods improve the longevity of crowns.
Caring for a dental crown:
- Brush twice a day.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Regular teeth cleanings will help clean the areas one is not able to clean themselves.
- Regular dental exams and x-rays will detect cavities below the crown margins.
- Wearing a mouthguard if one has teeth grinding habit. Grinding the teeth may cause fracture of the crown or very detrimental effect on opposing teeth.
Steps of crown procedure at a dental office:
The dental crown procedure will be a two-step procedure. At first visit, the tooth will be prepared for fitting a lab made crown. The crown will be glued to the natural tooth at the second appointment.
At the crown procedure appointment, the dentist will explain the procedure steps. After freezing, the tooth will be shaved/trimmed to a smaller size. Making the tooth smaller will leave space for a crown to be placed on a tooth.
Impression/mould of the tooth will be made and sent to the lab for crown fabrication. A temporary crown will be made and glued on your tooth. Post-operative instructions will be provided at the end of the treatment. First appointment is for 60-90 minutes.
Second appointment is much shorter; total duration is up to 30 minutes. One may or may not need freezing/numbing. Temporary crown will be removed. The tooth will be cleaned. Permanent crown will be tried for fit. Once the dentist determines that the crown fits well; the crown will be glued permanently to the tooth. The dentist will provide you post-operative instructions.
If you want to learn more about the dental crown treatment , please contact us at (604) 552-9500 or email us at [email protected] . You can also book an appointment now at Lincoln Dental Center for your dental crown treatment.